CONGRATULATION! It’s official!!! You are coming to NEW ZEALAND!
Flights are booked! Now… What do you pack???
TIP 1: KNOW YOU LIMITS
- One checked bag that weighs a maximum of 50 lbs (23kg) with dimensions (length + width + height) totalling no more than 62” (158cm).
- One carry on item weighing a maximum of 15 lbs (7kg) with (length + width + height) totalling no more than 46.5” (118cm).
- One small personal item such as a handbag, slimline laptop or duty free goods (where permitted).
For more information please visit the Air New Zealand website
So now you know your limits how on earth will you fit everything??
TIP 2: BRING ONLY WHAT YOU NEED
Don’t worry New Zealanders survive just fine. If you forget something you can probably buy it in NZ
- Passport + at least 1 photocopy
- Visa (affixed inside passport)
- Plane tickets + confirmations
- Cash, ATM card, credit cards
- Printed insurance details
- List of contact names, phone and email for parents and relatives, Study Abroad advisor and home college
- Medication and prescriptions
- Spare glasses/contacts
- Essential toiletries for flight (tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, etc.) *adhere to airline restrictions
- Change of clothes in case luggage is lost
- Include something warm
- Rain coat
This is a personal choice as different people value different things. You will have access to washing machines!! Don’t feel as though you need to pack every item of clothing you own.
Some helpful tips from past students:
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ITEMS: Sunscreen ($$ in NZ), sleeping bag, camera, backpack for traveling, rain coat, extra passport photos, and good walking shoes
Check out the IFSA-Butler website for more advice
TIP 3: LEARN TO PLAY SUITCASE TETRIS
So… you have eliminated as much as possible and now have a pile of items and an empty suitcase.
Here is a great video from Heathrow giving tips on how to squeeze everything in: